Saturday, December 18, 2010

World Vegan Day 2010

 Hello hungry peas,


Sorry I haven't blogged for a while. I've been trying to rest my arms as my osteo told me I have early signs of carpal tunnel in my wrists and should stay off the laptop.


It hasn't stopped me from eating though, so I'll make this blog a quick one. 


Sunday October 31st was World Vegan Day (well actually November 1 was but it's a Monday which isn't very convenient) Every year vegans of Victoria gather at the beautiful Abbotsford Convent and Sam Shan took me along to visit the little festival!


Being a lover of food and somewhat of an asian heritage, I'm not even close to being a vegan. let alone a vegetarian.  While all the animal activists and "ethical superannuation" was all a bit much for me, I had heaps of fun trying out the many food stands.







Enlightened Cuisine had a stall there and I had been dying to try the food at their Southbank restaurant. Their speciality is mock meat and they had all the familiar Chinese dishes like lemon "chicken" and roast "duck". The roast "duck" looked so similar to real duck, that even I felt a bit grossed out


Real looking fake duck
But they had these wicked vegan dim sims which with a small drizzle of soy and hot chilli sauce were amazing!! We ate lots of these! Their fried rice was alright as well, but otherwise this was nothing to rave about. Vegie Hut in Box Hill still reigns supreme in the mock meat department!


nom nom vegan dim sims


We had organic felafel with "tahini" from the Himalayan Bakery stand. They were pretty tasty but the "tahini" was weird as. It left that dry taste in my mouth like the way low fat yogurt does. 





Then we chased around a lady carrying vegan cupcakes and bought some off her. They were from Mister Nice Guy bakery. I dunno what was holding them cupcakes together without eggs and milk, but they were delish! So rich and the icing on top was creamy like butter icing but...what the heck was it made from???










Then somehow, we managed to squeeze in one more serving of okonomiyaki, topped with "mayonaise" and vegetarian sweet soy sauce. This was super yummy and my favourite dish of the day! (dunno where it was from though...)





















a pretty star fruit
It was a super fun day, and there were heaps of people there! I found myself asking many times "so...what is this made out of?" and getting a *shrug* as a reply. Especially the dim sims, I mean with meat dim sims we already don't know what's in it, let alone vegan dim sims...



While I remind foodies the fact that only a well off country - such as the one we live in - can pick and choose what they'd like to eat,  I have mad respects for the people who are finding creative ways to make yummy food despite having very limited ingredients! 




Thanks Sam Shan for taking me to World Vegan Day!


xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment